On the 7th July last year (07.07.07) the The New7Wonders Foundation announced the list of The New 7 Wonders of the World. The list was the result of over 100 million votes from all over the world. The announcement took place in Lisbon in Portugal, at the Benfica Stadium.
Of the original list of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World, only one now remains, the Great Pyramid at Giza in Egypt. The original 7 Wonders were:
* Great Pyramid of Giza
* Hanging Gardens of Babylon
* Statue of Zeus at Olympia
* Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
* Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus
* Colossus of Rhodes
* Lighthouse of Alexandria
The new list, from New7Wonders, announced in Lisbon is as follows:
* Pyramid at Chichén Itzá, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
* Christ The Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
* Roman Colosseum, Rome, Italy
* Great Wall of China, China
* Machu Picchu, Peru
* Petra, Jordan
* Taj Mahal, Agra, India
On my travels so far I have see the Great Pyramids in Egypt, The Colosseum in Rome, and Petra in Jordan. On my list of 100 goals, I have Christ The Redeemer, The Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu, and The Taj Mahal.
This means that there is one glaring omission from my list, being the Pyramid at Chichén Itzá. If I add this to my list, when complete it will mean that I have seen all Seven Wonders of the World.
So, as “Fly-By-Wire” in New Zealand has now closed down, as mentioned in the blog a couple of days ago here, I have now removed that from the 100 list, and replaced it with “Chichén Itzá, Mexico”
The other finalists for the New7Wonders were as follows:
* Acropolis of Athens, Athens, Greece
* Alhambra, Granada, Spain
* Angkor, Cambodia
* Statues of Easter Island, Easter Island, Chile
* Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
* Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey
* Kiyomizu Temple, Kyoto, Japan
* Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow, Russia
* Neuschwanstein Castle, Schwangau, Germany
* Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
* Statue of Liberty, New York City, U.S.A.
* Stonehenge, Amesbury, United Kingdom
* Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia
* Timbuktu, Mali
I have seen 4 of these, and have 3 more of them on my list, so there is still plenty of scope for something to add to my list after 100goals is finished!
Wikipedia – Seven Wonders of the World